World’s Largest Rubber Duck is coming to Seattle!
Yes, there is such a thing as the World’s Largest Rubber Duck. It’s a gigantic, yellow, inflatable, rubber duck, and you may have seen it in and/or around a harbor near you. This weekend it’s coming to Tacoma and the Foss Waterway for the 2017 Festival of Sail.
We love rubber ducks and have a small collection at home. We started collecting them at the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel in London with every suite stay, and it grew from that.
According to the duck’s homepage, Mama Duck is “an inspiration to enjoy the world’s waterfronts and conserve our natural resources.” Seattle/Tacoma is just one of many stops on the duck’s route. She’ll also be stopping in:
- COOS BAY & NORTH BEND, OR • JUNE 1-4, 2017
Festival of Sail Coos Bay & North Bend
- TACOMA, WA • JUNE 15-18, 2017
Festival of Sail Tacoma
- TORONTO, ON • JULY 1-3, 2017
Redpath Waterfront Festival
- OWEN SOUND, ON • JULY 7-9, 2017
Maawanji’iding: Festival Canadiana
- SAULT STE. MARIE, ON • JULY 13-15, 2017
- MIDLAND, ON • JULY 21-23, 2017
- AMHERSTBURG, ON • AUGUST 5-6, 2017
Raiders, Rebels & Redcoats
- BROCKVILLE, ON • AUGUST 10-13, 2017
Rails to Trails
The duck weight is an astonishing 15 TONS and in bad weather can be deflated in just a few minutes. They’re actually going to be trucking the duck in from Ohio just for the event.
Stick around for the rest of the Festival of Sail too, as there are some amazing ships in attendance, including:
▪ Adventuress, from Port Townsend. The luxury yacht was built in Maine for a Chicago millionaire who led a failed attempt in 1913 to hunt a bowhead whale in the Arctic and deliver its skeleton to a New York City museum.
▪ Lady Washington, from Aberdeen. The 112-foot-long ship is a replica of an 18th century cannon-laden brig — a popular war and merchant ship of the 18th and 19th centuries. It was used in the movies “Star Trek: Generations” and “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.”
▪ Vérité, from Tacoma. A wind and oar-powered captain’s gig, it’s used to teach youths boating skills on the Thea Foss Waterway.
If you’re going to be in the area, by all means check it out this weekend, and if you’re a little bit of a drive away, hopefully the duck is going to be inflated and near you soon!